History of St. Margaret of Scotland- Harvard
Established in 1893, St. Margaret of Scotland Church and Cemetery were blessed on October 4, 1894 by Bishop Henry Joseph Richter with 33 families. Over the years, the church has been a mission of Big Rapids, Carson City, Maple Valley, Sand Lake, Greenville, and most recently a special use chapel of Saint John Paul II Parish, Cedar Springs, Michigan.
The church building remained essentially the same until the summer of 1990, when an 800 square foot expansion was added to the side of the church and was blessed on November 24, 1990 by Bishop Robert J. Rose, who was a frequent visitor to St. Margaret’s while he was a professor at St. Joseph Seminary in Grand Rapids (1956-1971). St. Margaret is the proud home of Father John Otterbacher, who was ordained for Glenmary on February 28, 1953.
By the Diocesan Decree of April 12, 2013 St. Margaret of Scotland was completely merged with St. John Paul II Parish, the newest parish in the Diocese of Grand Rapids on and remains its chapel of special use.